Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Truth and a Story

"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story," my friend always says.  
As I was reading Dr. Seuss' first book with my daughter today, those words began playing in my head like a scratched CD.
And into the mix: a phone call with my mother.  This is the result:


So my mom called today 
And the first thing she said,
"What have you done today
Since you got out of bed?"

Well, I thought for a minute
Felt like a real winner,
I was still in my bed
And it was quarter to dinner!

That can't be my story
She'd think I was lazy
So I had to think quick
Lest she think I was crazy.

"Well," I told her, "this morning was weird.
I got out of bed so fast, you'd have cheered.

"I jumped up quick from where I was laying
For two children appeared, so we started playing."

Now I know what you're thinking:
I only have one
So where did this other come from?
What had I done?

How would you explain a day, a walk, any moment that feels ordinary?  Would you keep changing it like Marco does in the story?  Would yours even have to rhyme?  
This one is addicting.  I've started one draft in my notebook where I was swept away by red-tailed hawks (who started to squawk, by the way) and as I began to write this one post, it took me in an entirely different direction.  And isn't that the point?  Where will this mentor take you?  Because now it's your turn...



No comments:

Post a Comment