Sunday, June 24, 2012

Heat a la Hoops


After spending a day at the pool and returning to a car that reported the Death-Valley temperature, I just knew this slice was dying to be written.  So, for only the second time in my career, I reached for Hoops as my mentor.  This poetic rendering of a relate-able experience made capturing this moment a true experiment with language.  From one-word sentences (again) to alliteration, and (what my teammate calls) hyphenated hound-dogs, this mentor has a little bit of everything.

Heat.
Sizzling. 
Escape.
Wait!

The skin-whitening, sun-deflecting smear. 
The impatient feet dipping beneath
The blue-glass surface.  
Waiting. 
Ready.
The toe-dipping deepens.  
The shoulder-tense, hands-in-the-air crisp chill
Replaced by cool relief. 

Out.
Feel the arctic shiver.
Feel your skin pop, starved for sun-drying.
The as-long-as-you-can-stand-it stand-off
At the edge of the pool.
You can do it this time.
Knees bent,
Hands in fists at the end of pumping arms.
The free-as-a-bird flight.
Feet leaving the pavement,
Hitting the warm water wrap,
Slicing through to the bottom.
The not-too-deep depth.
Just enough.

Again.
Back to the wall.
Arms planked to pull you from the suit-clinging sea.
Stand-off on the side. 
Prepare. 
Deep breath.  
The I-know-you-can-do-it
I'm-watching-you stare.
Jump.
Again.

Heat.
Sizzling.
Escape.
Freedom.

Hoops.  The book.  Imitate it.  
Go on.  
Try.

1 comment:

  1. Got another blog for you to check out :) http://carolwscorner.blogspot.com/ This is Carol Wilcox. She's a teacher, ex-administrator, my mentor. Just thought you'd enjoy her thoughts. I'm loving your blog! Keep writing,modeling, and nudging, my friend.

    Hot?
    What?
    It's hot.
    What's hot?
    This.
    This?
    Ya, this.
    It's so hot!
    What's hot?
    This.

    ReplyDelete